Wednesday, February 28, 2007

2007 King Pine Trip

Last Friday we went to King Pine (KP) at Purity Springs Resort in Madison, NH. This pristine ski resort located just 7 miles south of Conway, NH was completely 100% open and ready to go with lots of natural and man made snow. There wasn't a single trail that was closed. (Remember previously how I reported that Pat's Peak stated they were open 100% when in reality there were several trails closed).

The tubing park which looked great and well groomed was even SOLD OUT for most (if not all of their runs). Even with the big crowds there was hardly a wait on the lift lines. King Pine had ALL lifts going at full speed. There was less stopage on these lifts as well (when compared to other resorts).

I got to try out my new Rossignol Z3 skis that I purchased recently from Ski Haus in Salem, NH. Um... my feet are still a little sore. I hope my boots will "pack in" during the next few trips. Now I just got to find the perfect winter coat to match my skis. LOL!

At King Pine, I really enjoyed the quieter side of the mountain which has the peaceful beginner trails -- Pokey Pine and Slow Pokey Pine. For those who are more advanced... not to worry ... this side of the mountains hosts trails such as Jack Pine and Red Pine. If you are really brave try out KP's new Pine Brule double black diamond trail! My kids did! My eight year old daughter who has only been skiing for 2 trips attempted this and realized her mistake. She ended up sliding down on her bum --- VERY FAST! The new triple chair lift is GREAT with little to NO wait. I have to admit the double chair that was there last year was a little bit scary.

I also love skiing between the trees up near the top of the lifts -- Pine Spills!

I wish Niki was with us (she's on her last week at USCG boot camp) because she would have LOVED the much improved snowboard and terrain park and the brand NEW 1/2 PIPE!!! Wow!!! You got to check this out! I was even inspired to do a small jump. They even had moguls on Pine Board.

Good thing about KP is that you'll probably run into a DB seasonal family. It was nice to meet up with the Flintstones and I could of sworn I saw other DB seasonals there (hard to tell with everyone decked out in winter gear).

This was an extra special trip because we went with our dear Danforth Bay seasonal family/friends (distant family but close friends). This was their first trip EVER for skiing/snowboarding and they couldn't have picked a better place! The rental shop really takes the TIME OUT to make sure the boots fit and you are well outfitted. They even got to see staff members Nick and Craig from Danforth Bay during their training sessions. They had a great time. King Pine puts a new meaning on their theme "It All Starts Here"!

The one thing that King Pine could do to improve is to replace the tow rope in the intermediate beginner's area with a moving platform near the front of the base.

To make things extra special King Pine had a Firework Display on Thursday - Feb. 22nd.

Next ski trip: Gunstock! Niki is coming home from USCG bootcamp and wants to hit the slopes!!!

No comments: