Saturday, March 13, 2010

Doggie Travels - Campground Limits

We've been looking for NEW campgrounds to visit this summer in the northern New England area. I've been finding some of them have the most craziest rules such as NO Air conditioning, fires only for cooking in day time, but one that I find a bit outrageous is the number of dogs you can bring to a campground. Ames Brook in Ashland, NH, Mountain Lake in Lancaster, NH, and Flat Rock Bridge in Maine are examples that told me they don't want my business because I have not 1, not 2, but 3 small dogs (even explaining to them that they are well behaved and weigh less than the average dog).

Anyways... this got me to think about the following review that I read on TripAdvisor.com about the Hampton Inn in Colchester, VT that we recently stayed at.

Another plus was that they charged no fee for the dogs. Many of the other hotels wanted up to 75.00 pet fee which I find ridiculous. Sorry but I think kids do a lot more damage and disturbance than pets do in hotels. I have never seen a dog run up and down the halls knocking on doors and screaming. Dogs don't eat pizza in bed and dump soft drinks all over the bed. Dogs also don't stomp on the floors and pee in the pool.

Unfortnately in the 10+ years I have been camping I believe this is true for children at campgrounds as well! I have witnessed children being naughty in many situations! Leaving messes on common area picnic tables, children under 2 with no diapers in the pool, seasonal children loitering from one transient family to another, children chasing after campers as they are leaving the park, and the list goes on and on. My kids are not angels either so I know first hand of questionable behavoir.

Other than the seldom barker (and I do emphasize seldom) I have never seen a badly behaving dog. Most people that I know own 1 or 2 dogs at most. Should campgrounds start limiting children? Perhaps I can understand them limiting certain types of dogs. We had a pitbull / boxer / lab mix and in the end she didn't get along with people.

Anyways, why are dogs getting the bum wrap at campgrounds?

No comments: